We love all the comments, but we're particularly honored by what Mark's brother Erich wrote. He has a great way of communicating a sincerity that most people don't express and a perspective that when communicated, sticks with me forever -- I'm not sure when he developed these skills, but I know that the writings he and dad exchanged before dad died told Dad that Erich had learned many of the lessons Dad taught and that Erich would be a-OK. His eulogy at Dad's wake was maybe the best speech I've ever heard. I've been lucky to be honored by him at our Nebraska wedding reception at Donnis and Curly's home (Melanie's parents) and at Erich's own wedding. I know he says he's learned a lot from Dad, Mom, Angela, his kids and myself, but I know that I and all of us have learned a lot from him as welll...so....much love and thanks bro!
Check it out:
uncle erich said...
Liam!!! Your dad is your dad? Really? Then than means that my brother is a dad. Are you for real? Liam...(Click here to read more.)

Time to go wake baby and mom for a feeding!
ReplyDeleteHello Liam!!!
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing today?
Being a Nemeth, I am compelled to talk to you about a few things. Not sure if you were able to catch the little joke there in that sentence. "Being a Nemeth, and compelled to talk," that's the funny part of that sentence. The only question is will you catch the Nemeth bug as well?
Liam, today your uncle Erich would like to talk to you about “judging a book by its cover. “ Liam I can almost hear your goo goo ga gazh right this moment. You must be thinking to yourself, “ah uncle Erich, there you go being funny again.” Well not exactly. Many of the things you will hear from your father and your uncle are part of what was taught to them by your grandfather. You see, you grandfather filled many people with concepts, something I like to call “Life’s Lessons.” And now you are probably saying “geese or goo goo gah gah. Is uncle Erich going to test me after this blog or what?” No I don’t test anyone under the age of 2 weeks.
“Life’s Lessons:”
When you are a Nemeth it is really easy to be a little bit stubborn. And if you are anything like your uncle Erich then you will quickly understand it is not to hard to get attached to ideas and things that you are unwilling to release from what I am sure will be a very strong grip. Liam, the next few paragraphs will tell you about how your uncle Erich learned that you should never judge anything or anyone by their cover.
First of all Liam, and let me get this out of the way before you reach the age of 2 weeks old. Your uncle E is a big Boston Red Sox fan. Big!!! So big that he even named his dog after one of the Red Sox pitchers. The dogs name became Becket. Oh, how your uncle E just loved Becket, the way he looked and the way he acted.
Secondly, before uncle E gets to the point, he must tell you about the type of dogs he always has disliked. The types of dog not liked by your uncle are long haired and shaggy dogs, and most notably Shih Tzu’s. Why would anyone not like these types of dogs you might ask? Well it is a really long story, but basically they get hair everywhere, and it always appeared to uncle Erich that these dogs had unpleasing attitudes.
Liam, tell me you are not “Yawning!” Okay, so months after Becket moved in with your uncle Erich and aunt Angela, your uncle E decided it was time to be nice to your aunt and let her get something of her own for once, so big E bought Angela a dog. Not just any old dog, a Shih Tzu. On the way home from getting the dog, big E told Angela, that he was not going to have anything to do with the dog, that it better stay near her and on her side of the bed at night.
Liam, I promise the good part is coming up soon! Once home, the dog was named Joba after a New York Yankee pitcher. Yuck, a New York Yankee’s pitcher. To understand what “Yuck, a New York Yankee’s pitcher” means you will have to ask your father later on. After a few short days of Joba being home, do you know what happened? Becket and Joba switched owners. Can you believe it? I know, you are getting so excited after hearing that and you need your mommy or daddy to hold you to help you get through the emotions after hearing about that amazing drama.
Liam, the amazing end of the story is that your uncle E learned something from Joba. And for you to understand this you will have to meet Joba. Joba is the most loveable dog anyone could ever meet. He has this beautiful little flat face. He is always so happy and cheery. He is loving and friendly. Joba has the greatest attitude of any dog uncle E has ever been around.
The moral to this “Life’s Lesson” tale is that if your uncle Erich had continued to believe because he had met just 2 or 3 other Shih Tzu’s that he did not find to be very nice, that all Shih Tzu’s were bad dogs, he would never had the opportunity to become such great friends with Joba. You see, I had to open my eyes and my arms to Joba, and what I got in return was a fun loving friend. I have even begun to appreciate his long hair. As far as uncle E learning to accept Yankee’s fans, don’t bet on it!
I'm sure I'll think that's a funny story later when I'm less deliriously tired but deliriously tired I found it hilarious.
ReplyDeleteLiam, If you're a baseball fan, I'll back whatever team you support, but if you want to be forever harassed by Uncle E, choose the Yankees! Your great grandpa Feeney -- I called him "man banca", because my first words were in Spanish and he worked in a bank -- he was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan (now rival of the San Francisco Giants). Your Aunt Helen (on grandpa Nemeth's side) worked at the Mets' Shea Stadium. I wasn't such a big baseball fan growing up but I was always fascinated by how Man Banca could list the players on every single team in the majors. As a kid I repeatedly tried to stump him, but he always knew them all. Liam, he was very entertaining -- I always wanted to do a documentary on him -- ask me about him later -- maybe I'll write about him for you sometime. He kept diaries and on each day there were simple entries related to baseball, the weather or his wife to be, your great grandma Feeney. ("Good day. Saw a game. Met Mary", etc)
BTW Liam, Joba is from Lincoln, Nebraska.